AI Feedback Thread

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

peglegswansoon

AI Feedback Thread

Post by peglegswansoon » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:10 pm

Hey guys. With the recent changes to the bot AI in Sandstorm I thought I'd make this thread as a way to keep track of any complaints and feedback we might have about them. For reference our server uses the ImprovedAI mod to adjust the bot behaviour, if you want to get super specific with any recommendations feel free to take a look at the different settings we can tweak! But if not, general feedback is also welcome :)

Some things I'm already aware of and planning how to fix:
  • Bots using close-range weapons (pistols/SMGs/shotguns) at long ranges - should be fixable with custom weapon configs
  • Bots being too accurate with their first shots in general, especially at long ranges - hopefully can increase the "bloat box" sizes to resolve this
  • Bots rushing the objectives very aggressively during counter-attacks - can partly be resolved through a bit of coordination :biggrin: bots won't rush through incendiaries/molotovs as much anymore, they will bunch up behind them so make sure to burn those doorways. But can also investigate reducing the bot counts or using SISSM Dynamic Bots plugin to change them per-objective if that's not enough
But yeah, any other comments or complaints please leave them below!

peglegswansoon

Re: AI Feedback Thread

Post by peglegswansoon » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:25 pm

I've added some new weapon configs for the AI on our server. The overall feel should be less difficult but a little more "scary", by which I mean bots will suppress you more without necessarily hitting you:
  • Bot visibility has generally been increased so they have an easier time spotting you at long range
  • Overall accuracy has been reduced a lot. The idea is the bots will shoot at you more but hit less.
  • CQB guns (pistols/SMGs/shotguns) should be used less at long range now. They will sometimes still try it, but should be less accurate than before
  • Ranges for rifles/LMGs/snipers have been increased so they will shoot at you from long ranges
  • Snipers should be slower to hit you in close quarters but are still accurate
  • Reduced bot visibility in smoke to try and prevent them shooting through it unfairly

Spawnsy

Post by Spawnsy » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:54 pm

Cracking stuff! Cheers mate.
Facebook Ebs Spawnsy
Got the SQUEE?
Pick up your suffering and bear it. (J. B. Peterson)
Stay hard. (D. Goggins)
Easy now.

knightmorphed

Post by knightmorphed » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:45 pm

You are a star Pegleg with your technical wizardry.....thank you.