How did you end up with your gaming name?

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

Allana

Re: How did you end up with your gaming name?

Post by Allana » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:36 pm

As a teen I was adoring The Lord Of The Rings and everything that had to do with it. I spent hours in a chat only for lotr and created a character to play roleplays with. But how to call it? As it was an elv it had to be Elvish. Luckily i got a Sindarin dictionary (a must have at that time). I choose the word for rainbow 'cause it was unknown to most, not too smooth nor too difficult --> Ninniach.
My first games a played with that name. But by time I thought it doesn't fit too well to certain types of games (like UT). So I was looking for the word rainbow in different languages until I found the Gaelic version of it --> Alanna was born. Later I changed the spelling to Allana 'cause its handier to type.

As I just realised - my memory is cheating on me. There is absolutly no connection between Allana and rainbow - lol.
Well, I like the sound of it and everyone can say it without problems ;-).

Projectblue

Post by Projectblue » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:23 pm

It comes up as Gaelic for Serenity. So you could be the name of the coolest spaceship ever to fly on TV?
“I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”

Allana

Post by Allana » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:56 am

Projectblue wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:23 pm
It comes up as Gaelic for Serenity. So you could be the name of the coolest spaceship ever to fly on TV?
that sounds pretty cool!

darkdeamon

Post by darkdeamon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:42 pm

My name comes from my D&D days in my teens and relates to an extremely neurotic and psychotic dark paladin that was my favourite character at the time. Looking back now I was a seriously fucked up teenager with some bad, unresolved issues! Nothings really changed in the intervening years!
Putting my hacks on your PC by many devious methods

AnimusEradico

Post by AnimusEradico » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:20 pm

I haven't had any other PC gaming names that I can remember at least.

Wanted something cool sounding (which I think is a bit of a theme for most) and sounded a bit threatening for FPS games, decided something with Latin would do the job and after many hours of research, Soul Destroyer was born - or 'AnimusEradico' (possibly roughly translated). Though that does get shortened to 'Ani', which is a bit less threatening!
Animus seems quite popular though so I have some variations of it for games if it's already taken.