Meet games.

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

AnimusEradico

Re: Meet games.

Post by AnimusEradico » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:35 pm

I think the games are good - but not everyone will be up for every game.
I don't think you should abandon the games; but maybe have them with groups who want to play, and not be too complex.

warlock359205

Post by warlock359205 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:35 pm

so the naked twisters out then lol

samuraipxi

Post by samuraipxi » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Games are always a fun way to get people talking :)

Spawnsy

Post by Spawnsy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:25 pm

finally! a discussion! thank you for engaging: it's genuinely appreciated.

i find it painful to have to wait for the alcohol to affect the mood. i would go so far as to say that i dislike the fact that alcohol is an accepted if not required method of relaxation having lost a close friend to it's abuse. that is not to say that i'm against drinking at all, anyone who knows me would be laughing their head off at the suggestion, but my point is made and stands.

the yes/no game was chosen specifically to help people who are uncomfortable in a group. let's face it most people are (at least initially) uncomfortable at their first meet, and a good number of us are uncomfortable in any group setting in general, so i would have thought that a little assistance would be helpful if not appreciated in the first instance.
the game gives licence to all to talk superficially with any other with a clearly defined reason which is shared and understood. no physical activity or silliness which might draw undesired attention is involved. it's as harmless as can be.

jenga and skittles will be set up and left there for those who wish to play whenever they like. they're not what i'm trying to have a conversation about.

giving those who wish to do so the opportunity to be silly and provide laughs to others helps everyone to feel comfortable. that's my goal. i'm trying to ask what we can all do to make everyone feel comfortable and happy. i would like to think that the majority of us who have been many times and who know one another would have no problem with being a bit daft and accepting a laugh at our own expense for the benefit of the whole. i am reluctant to use the phrase "safe space".

i have no desire to force anyone into anything they fundamentally don't want to do, but a gentle friendly shove is often required, and once the first step is taken it's often appreciated in hindsight.

i see discussing it openly in advance as part of easing people into the idea of what is to come. i'm not just being a controlling prick here. don't think me so superficial, it hurts my feelings. yes, i have feelings.

so, assuming that i can convince everyone to engage in the yes/no game, and that it has the desired effect, is there another game we could play which would further engage people, create laughs, fun, a good atmosphere, good memories, and talking points over which to reminisce and help to build friendships and community spirit? if there are no suggestions, or any which people want to play then that's fine, i just want everyone to understand why i've been pushing the issue as there seems to be little understanding.
Facebook Ebs Spawnsy
Easy now.

Ztranier

Post by Ztranier » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:22 pm

:mrgreen:
"If in doubt, ....flat out" Collin McRae

Bennett
Loading…

Post by Bennett » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:17 pm

Didn't realise it was an option. More of a, got some games, more suggestions welcome.

I can bring cards against humanity for later, and exploding kittens (bit like uno but a little bit daft with a cone of shame)

Spawnsy

Post by Spawnsy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Got both of them. No need to risk getting beer on yours! Not really the kind of games I'm asking for, but kittens is a good giggle and cards against humanity can be hilarious, even just to watch. It's also very revealing of a person's humour/character/filthy or warped mind! So yeah, they could be good. Thanks Bennett.

Keep em coming!
Facebook Ebs Spawnsy
Easy now.

Projectblue

Post by Projectblue » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Sorry, I completely missed this thread until now. My bad.
I'm not a massive party game person myself, although CaH is fun.

What about maybe some Role Playing (not like that!) - that gets people talking and is almost fun to watch. Downside, it can't be played by everyone as there are too many. Depending on the game, it can be set up really quickly.

Poker table. £1 buy in gets everyone an equal stack of poker chips. Have a tournament and winner takes the pot? Because it's tiny amount of money then it's harmless and someone might get their boozed costs covered?
"The day may dawn when fair play, love for one’s fellow-men, respect for justice and freedom, will enable tormented generations to march forth serene and triumphant from the hideous epoch in which we have to dwell. Meanwhile, never flinch, never weary, never despair."

Spawnsy

Post by Spawnsy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:30 pm

hmm. having never been much of a one for poker myself i'd find it hard to sell the idea to others. plus it's insular. it's not great for spectators or laughs either. but thanks for the idea.

role playing could be fun. idk what format that would take, so you'd have to offer the idea on the day.
Facebook Ebs Spawnsy
Easy now.

BillBailey

Post by BillBailey » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:53 pm

How about pin the tail on the Ohso.
(It's Friday, i'm probably drunk by now.)