Raspberry Pi "recipes"

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

0v3rz34l0u5

Raspberry Pi "recipes"

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:13 pm

Over the next week I will be tinkering with several new "recipes" for the Raspberry Pi.

These will be:
  1. AirPlay Receiver - stream music from your iPhone or iPad to it
  2. Amazon Alexa - a homemade Alexa device!
  3. DOSBox - an emulator for all your favourite DOS games!
  4. OnionPi - Wireless AP with built in Tor. Stay anonymous online.
  5. Pi-Hole Network Ad-Blocker - block your old games
  6. RetroPie - another emulator but one which support 50 gaming systems!
  7. SETI@home - help the Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence BOINC project
  8. Steam Link - play games on your PC using a game controller and your TV!
If anyone wishes to know these recipes once I've tinkered, let me know! I can post them here or tell you where to download the pre-configured images from!
Last edited by 0v3rz34l0u5 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.
We’re not the avatars we create. We’re not the pictures on the film stock. We are the light that shines through. All else is just smoke and mirrors. Distracting, but not truly compelling.

Spawnsy

Re: Raspberry Pi "recipes"

Post by Spawnsy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:54 pm

You're one industrious dude! I just cba to keep that busy mate.
Facebook Ebs Spawnsy
Easy now.

Hairy Frog

Post by Hairy Frog » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:24 pm

Raspberry pie ?

If a fool is a guy who lost is touch with the real world, what to think about people who are confusing

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Knowledge and information
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

0v3rz34l0u5

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:42 pm

I don’t know why but I love tinkering and learning. I hated it at school. I guess now it’s on my terms, I can do it at my pace. 😊
We’re not the avatars we create. We’re not the pictures on the film stock. We are the light that shines through. All else is just smoke and mirrors. Distracting, but not truly compelling.

Spawnsy

Post by Spawnsy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:20 pm

It sounds as though you have an analytical mind which you need to keep busy but interested. Like a restless engineer!
Facebook Ebs Spawnsy
Easy now.

0v3rz34l0u5

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:19 pm

It could be the Asperger’s but I do need to be doing something. It’s fun!

Hairy Frog

Post by Hairy Frog » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:57 am

0v3rz34l0u5 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:42 pm
I don’t know why but I love tinkering and learning. I hated it at school. I guess now it’s on my terms, I can do it at my pace. 😊
That's definitively it !
If a fool is a guy who lost is touch with the real world, what to think about people who are confusing

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Knowledge and information
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

Harrod200

Post by Harrod200 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:19 am

0v3rz34l0u5 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:42 pm
The problem I had with such things at school was that the task felt arbitrary, and often the 'right' way was very rigid. I hated any programming stuff because of that.

Fast forward 15 years and I've automated great big chunks of my (nice, safe) job in VBA and enjoy having a problem I suspect I can automate away and spending a day or so hacking away at the code to make it happen.

Actual problems and a freedom to go at it any way you like is a much more enjoyable way of learning for me.

On the Pi front, I'm using mine as a PiHole and OpenVPN server, and it just sits there and performs those tasks perfectly. Shame PiHole can't block YT ads without massive faff though.

0v3rz34l0u5

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:40 am

Harrod200 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:19 am
The problem I had with such things at school was that the task felt arbitrary, and often the 'right' way was very rigid. I hated any programming stuff because of that.
I definitely think the tutor makes a big difference. Teachers at school want you to do well but they have some many people in the class at different levels it’s hard to find a happy medium to help them all.
Hairy Frog wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:57 am
That's definitively it !
I struggled with Computing at A-Level (and eventually gave up) and came out with a D in IT at GCSE. When I did my Open University,
I found that learning at my pace made a massive difference. Also, the tutors could work more on a 1:1 level so could help their students better. I was often told that programming in the real world is very different to how it is taught.

0v3rz34l0u5

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:53 am

Spawnsy wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:20 pm
It sounds as though you have an analytical mind which you need to keep busy but interested. Like a restless engineer!
Raspberry Pi have opened their first shop in Cambridge and I think that is also have a part to play!