When your boss surprises the hell out of you

Non-game related chat
DarkDeamon
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

When your boss surprises the hell out of you

Post by DarkDeamon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:30 am

Here's one for those of you that work in IT.

Currently having a major falling out in work with both Oracle and Microsoft over escalating licensing costs. We could face a Microsoft bill of around $1,000,000 early next year.

I've also seen the writing on the wall for the non-365 versions of office in the next 3-5 years as they make it more difficult to license and use as a business unless you're using the 'right version' of windows 10.

Had a meeting with the boss this morning to discuss this as we need to start planning what we're going to do and how. I've had an idea in my mind for quite a while about moving away from Microsoft and dropped it into the conversation, expecting it to go down like a dose of the shits in a white suite.

When I explained my thinking and the Linux options, not only was he very enthusiastic about it, he offered to be the 1st test user!??

I've now got meetings with Red Hat and SUSE about enterprise rollout of Linux desktop to around 1500 users!!!!!

WTF have I just done!?!?!?!
aka EvilB@stard
Insurgency Config maniac
Putting my hacks on your PC :devil:

warlock359205
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Re: When your boss surprises the hell out of you

Post by warlock359205 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:59 pm

lol good idea, lets make myself some more work

TokaiTele
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198028417860/

Post by TokaiTele » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Nice. You would think that linux would be their first choice anyway. Free versus a massive bill? No quandry.

DarkDeamon
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by DarkDeamon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:49 pm

The enterprise versions aren't free as you are paying for support and upgrades. RHEL is the cheapest at $50 per user per year and Ubuntu Enterprise hits $150. Even the Ubuntu works out at around 1/10 of our Microsoft cost.
We'll still need to keep around 100 windows desktops due to special software requirements but the rest of the users will be able to do their work using Linux and libre office.
aka EvilB@stard
Insurgency Config maniac

TokaiTele
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198028417860/

Post by TokaiTele » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Hmmm I didn't realise the cost of enterprise. I understand the cost for the servers etc. But at least you can save on desktop environments.

HonorOfDuty
SWO
SWO

Post by HonorOfDuty » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Due to special software requirements? You sure this can't be done with wine? I've managed to run some complex bioinformatics suites through wine without any problems

DarkDeamon
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by DarkDeamon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:49 pm

TokaiTele wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:21 pm
Hmmm I didn't realise the cost of enterprise. I understand the cost for the servers etc. But at least you can save on desktop environments.
They have to make their money some how. They offer some pretty top notch support and some quite useful management utilities as part of the subscriptions. There's also a lot of behind the scenes dev work to support for the distro's to provide the secure, stable environment that enterprise needs.

If we went SUSE which is the middle ground of the 3 in price, we are getting the complete desktop system including nearly all the apps we need for the price of the windows 10 pro. We don't have to worry about semi-annual channel updates or the desktop LTSC not matching with the office LTSC. There's not going to be an issue in a few years where the new version of office won't be supported on our desktop LTSC or our SAC version if it's more than 2 versions behind. We're not going to have our software provider trying to force us to use their cloud offering because it's a greater revenue stream for them!
aka EvilB@stard
Insurgency Config maniac

DarkDeamon
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by DarkDeamon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:51 pm

HonorOfDuty wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 pm
Due to special software requirements? You sure this can't be done with wine? I've managed to run some complex bioinformatics suites through wine without any problems
It's CAD software and bloody temperamental as to how it runs and what it runs on. Am talking to the support people but don't expect much joy!
aka EvilB@stard
Insurgency Config maniac