Discord.

Non-game related chat
Spawnsy
Admiral Of The Fleet
Admiral Of The Fleet

Discord.

Post by Spawnsy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:54 pm

The ownership and availability of a pay-to-use voip server has been critical to the success of EBS since our inception. I don't think think that we have any members so new as to not realise that.

Discord is diluting our appeal hugely.

Nobody needs ours any more, and it's hurting our community terribly. I can literally see it dwindling before my very eyes. So many people are choosing to use their own that we're not together any more. I can't pop into channel and ask how people are, how someone's mum is, or how work is going. I don't get to hear random banter, and people moan about mundane shit, and I'm missing it terribly. Of course, I still drop into the insurgency channel from time to time and do exactly that. I even pop into BF once in a while to say hi to new guys, or just "easy now", then off, but there are so many people missing that I'm really grateful for those still around.

We know why. Many of us have drifted away from insurgency and over to battlegrounds.

We've never intended to be a game-specific community. I know that the recruitment is done through our dedicated game servers, but if we don't have a hub for everyone, then we end up being based purely on our dedicated servers and lose everyone who moves on to a new game.

If a member chooses to use another discord and other members follow, then we're not only losing the original guy but he's actively taking additional members away from the community as a direct result of his action. Whether or not you admit it, with or without excuses, to yourself or publicly; I can't stress this enough; not only is it not sustaining or growing us, it is also choosing to actively harm the community.
community
kəˈmjuːnɪti/
noun
1.a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common.
"Montreal's Italian community"

2.the condition of sharing or having certain attitudes and interests in common.
"the sense of community that organized religion can provide"
The "interests" would be gaming.
The "characteristic" is enjoying gaming with other people as part of our community.
Surely the "attitude" should be a shared desire to do good for the community and certainly not harm it?

If you are an admin, you are expected to use our discord as much as possible, actively encourage other members to do the same, and actively discourage members from doing otherwise. I'm not for a moment suggesting that you can't do what you like. I'm in no way saying that you should fall out with people or try to force anyone into anything. I am insisting that your first suggestion should always be to use EBS. Admins should be proud to be ambassadors of the community across all games, all the time. If you're not, then you shouldn't be an admin. So, if you're not comfortable with that, or you don't agree, then please pm me and I'll demote you accordingly.

I would like to be able to say: "Nobody on steam playing your game? Pop onto EBS, member or not, there's almost always someone knocking about. If nobody's playing the game you want, maybe there'll be someone playing that game that you forgot about, and you could join in with them. Maybe someone you don't know yet will ask for a game and become your new best mate."
We should all be using discord no matter what multiplayer game we're on. Why aren't we happy to? In what way is a member a member if they don't play with other members?

So, pubg then.

If you don't want to play with a specific person, then you should be able to word it nicely enough to not overtly offend, and they should be big enough to accept it. You should also be willing to play with people less gifted than you from time to time, for a change, to maintain friendships and help keep the community together.

I am well aware, and have been for many years, that there are plenty of people who don't even like me, let alone want to game with me for one reason or another. Sometimes it's a bit of a shock when I find out that I actually really like one of those people, and never really knew that they didn't like me, but I remain retrospective about it. I would like to think that we're all adults and can deal with the facts of life.

I am suggesting here and now that we create and adhere to an etiquette for discord in order to help this situation.
I will edit and create channels as DND, and limit the channel slots. If someone is in a DND channel, then I propose that this be respected at face value. Do Not Disturb. Not disturbing would include not sending steam messages as well as not joining the channel. Not invited? Don't ask, as refusal often offends.
This is less than ideal, but will help end the problem.

If you've read this post with disdain, disagree with it, and basically just want to take what you can get when you can get it and do nothing in return, then please remove yourself from our steam group, take off your tags, and quietly disappear. In this instance a short and to-the-point pm would be helpful, if you could be arsed to actually help.

I sincerely hope that this post makes absolutely crystal clear how important this issue is to us as a community, and that all our members have a renewed sense of the importance of their part in it.
EASY NOW

Ztranier
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Steam: =EBS= Ztranier [DPT]/ http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008007768/

Re: Discord.

Post by Ztranier » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:54 pm

goog and clear words Sir Spawnalot

smurf
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by smurf » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:55 pm

If I may perhaps put myself in the firing line for a moment. Speaking for myself, the whole I don't like him thing isn't really an issue or why I tend to use another discord. Its more a style of play deal. I myself can't stand hiding in a house for half hr and avoiding enemy contact unless absolutely necessary. I find this style of play boring and not fun. My preferred style is to go in aggressive, jump where there us other people and hunt/loot other players. When in mid game, its a positioning thing and clearing out players in your back lines, then end game is more tac.
This style of play gets you killed A LOT, but its fun as hell and chicken dinners come up at least once a week, but usually more than that.
When your in the squad channel, people tend to play in a more cautious style, and that's cool, but its not my preferred way to play. So I tend to shy away from the squad channels.
My solution I would offer is this. Get rid of squad, duo and similar named channels, and create ones based on style of play. E.g

Aggressive/kill hunt
Hide and seek
Chicken winners
Pure tac
For the lols

You get the idea. That way, people know what they are in for when joining a group already in session. I dont want to go full tac, I dont join that channel

Just my thoughts.
10 print "SMURF!!"
20 GOTO 10

Spawnsy
Admiral Of The Fleet
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Spawnsy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:59 pm

I accept that as your reason, but disagree with your solution. I don't think that hiding on a private channel is the way to deal with it. Why not just ask about it, or make a suggestion? I would happily join in with that play style from time to time. Sometimes I'm right in the mood for that.
Looking forward to seeing you back on our discord mate. It feels like it's been ages, and I've missed your grumping, banter, and bare-faced insults.
EASY NOW

Spawnsy
Admiral Of The Fleet
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Spawnsy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:07 pm

I would add that it should be a matter of course to ask a group you want to join what style they're enjoying anyway.
EASY NOW

Age.
Admiral Of The Fleet
Admiral Of The Fleet
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/age_uk
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/age_dub
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheProvokedPrawn/

Post by Age. » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:26 pm

HILARIOUS Youtube videos
--->Donate to keep EBS alive<---
If you have problems, be sure to check the Guides Section for simple idiot-proof guides with screenshots 'n' all.

knightmorphed
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971133488/

Post by knightmorphed » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:20 pm

Message is crystal clear and I agree and support all the fundamental points in how we as a community should use discord.
Dyin' ain't much of a living boy!

Satan
Captain
Captain
Twitter: https://twitter.com/stevesmediasolu
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/srw1966

Post by Satan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:52 pm

May i add it is worth noting that people do also game without headsets. I personally hate wearing them i prefer surround sound from my amp and speakers, i also have a wife who doesnt get it and thinks im ignoring the world if i wear them. I do wear them as much as i dont but there needs to be tolerance and understanding that not everyone can be in voice chat all the time or maybe not in a sociable mood.
Dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians!

Teffie
Petty Officer
Petty Officer
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/teffie
Twitter: @teffiegaming

Post by Teffie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:58 am

To put my two pence in, when EBS discord was initially set up we were told the same rules applied as they did when we had Mumble, i.e. it was exclusively for EBS members only.

I have friends inside EBS and outside and, on many occasions, would have liked to have gamed together with both groups at the same time in Insurgency and PUBg - as I have playing Rocket League with Chimp, Tiedied etc.

However, with EBS refusing to allow non-members into their voice channels my friends became offended, seeing this as ridiculous and alienating. This then shaped their view of the EBS group (despite my best efforts to defend you all) and, even though you have now opened it up to non-members, I'm afraid the damage has already been done.

During the non-member ban in discord we were also forced to make our own channels so we could include other friends and family, e.g. Hooters channel.

It seems our chiefs realised their mistake, seeing the numbers of people using other channels and therefore changed Discord to be open to all. However, the impression I get from speaking to other members is that, again, the damage has been done.

I think you just need to relax, let some time pass and wait for the next group of newbies to come along with their friends who have no knowledge of EBS only discord. Hopefully, then the channel will start filling up again.

There is also an element of differing play styles as Smurf says and, whilst it would be nice to say that's not an excuse, we should all be able to play our own styles whilst playing together, it simply isn't possible as you get moaned, tutted at etc if you don't do as you're told and especially if things go tits up in the game.

Speaking for myself, I am still around, I regularly checkout EBS discord channel and would like to play PUBg and Black Squad (hint, hint on a free game a lot of you might also be interested in) more with you guys but it's difficult to find times when my non-EBS mates aren't around but when you chaps are. I feel like piggy in the middle now.

xx

BillBailey
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bill.bailey.9212301

Post by BillBailey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:38 am

The reason for the member only rule in mumble was because in the past we opened it up only to have it abused by utter cunts