Mental Health Support

Non-game related chat
Spawnsy
Admiral Of The Fleet
Admiral Of The Fleet

Re: Mental Health Support

Post by Spawnsy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:18 pm

I fail to see what prompted your comment warlock?
EASY NOW

Stujb
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/stujb

Post by Stujb » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Stujb wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:19 pm
Chris_86 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:02 pm
0v3rz34l0u5 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:51 pm
the hardest thing I found was getting the support from the NHS
We have Margaret Thatcher to thank for that, and the subsequent governments who want to do more and more without raising taxes.
Stop that right there. When labour took over they closed my local, as it was called at the time, asylum, putting all those on the streets.

That's enough politics on this forum thank you. Move along please.
This @Spawnsy

Ztranier
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Steam: =EBS= Ztranier [DPT]/ http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198008007768/

Post by Ztranier » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:40 pm

@ Teffie
Thanks for your comment on this threat,
since i have the Feeling that half of the friends i do have Cancer (inreal live and steam Buddys also) or already died on this epidemic illnes i sometimes do not see any future of having a decent public live,
it has been hard to concomit 2 of my best friends within the last Stadiums(one did choose the jump to end his torture)
and even harder to sit byside my aunty 3 years ago, whilst she was taking her last breath
but it was good to see her entering the next Level with a smile on her face witch hasn´t been seen for years

puuuhhh....
......didn´t knew that it is such a mental brain opening to chat about these Things
feels like am resuming my whole live now............. .. .. ... .. . . ..
warlock359205 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:14 pm
there should be NO religious or political discussions on this forum at all. :cool:
sry but i have to comment this
@warlock:
idk about religions or political statements sir,
but in this situations everything is good m8, if u got something that helps you to find answers for the "why" it is GOOD

warlock359205
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by warlock359205 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:14 am

I only made the comment as it seemed as the thread was starting to go along the 2 things we never discuss politics and religion, I of all people could rant on about politics and religion, but I don't, I appreciate the initial thread as I have experienced a suicide and illness including cancer ,so I just wanted to clear that up.

Age.
Admiral Of The Fleet
Admiral Of The Fleet
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/age_uk
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/age_dub
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheProvokedPrawn/

Post by Age. » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:27 am

I have conflicting opinions on this matter. And some that might rile other people up. And I understand that depression is hard, even if I don't personally experience it (other than through stress or worry or anxiety) but suicide can be selfish.

For example, I had a colleague at work who killed herself because of depression. None of us knew anything was wrong as she seemed happy and never down. Thing is, she left her twin boys when she took her own life and they were only 2. As a parent I question how you can justify doing that. I could never leave my boy or girl like that. Now they have no mum to love and cherish them and all the support is left to their dad. Imagine having sustain a job and two kids and a home all on your own while also coping with the grief of losing your partner. No doubt he also blames himself and so has that to deal with. Terrible stuff. Yes, she must have been in a bad place and being a parent can be very hard. But she had a good job, a loving family and responsibilities! That is selfish and you are free to disagree with me.

I also find it selfish when people kill themselves by throwing themselves in front of a train as they've caused all the usual hurt and upset but also traumatised the train driver, the passengers and all the clean up crew...

On the other hand I know people who suffer from depression and how hard they find life and I always try to help and prevent that horrid result whenever I can.

Stu's example rings true as well, because I know people can blame themselves for tragic events beyond their control. My brother blames himself for the death of our Dad. He didn't kill him, in fact, when Dad collapsed, he gave him CPR and tried to save him (which must have been traumatic in itself) but Dad was too far gone and though my brother kept him going and the ambulance/hospital stabilised him, he was gone, there was no hope. Dad killed himself through years of smoking and drinking, it wasn't my brothers fault, yet he blames himself and I know he's thought about ending his life because of that and other issues. I told him, in no uncertain terms, it was Dad's fault, no one elses. The man was a stubborn bastard and wouldn't listen when we told him to stop smoking 20+ a day, everday. I still miss the old bugger though.
HILARIOUS Youtube videos
--->Donate to keep EBS alive<---
If you have problems, be sure to check the Guides Section for simple idiot-proof guides with screenshots 'n' all.

Satan
Captain
Captain
Twitter: https://twitter.com/stevesmediasolu
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/srw1966

Post by Satan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Nice words Age, when the discussion was initially in chat it was me who suggested taking your life can be selfish and Karrion who shot me down from his own personal beliefs and experiences and i get that. However, i was also coming in from the angle you are. We all have our own experiences and beliefs and probably witnessed different sides to mental illness and different outcomes to this kind of illness but there are no rules. Its about showing compassion, understanding and accepting its amongst us, its out there and its an illness.
Dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians!

Spawnsy
Admiral Of The Fleet
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Spawnsy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Whenever someone tells me that they're contemplating suicide my response is that they're not allowed. I say it as though it's an official rule, and I'm enforcing it. That's a great diffuser, and a good come back to have in the bank. It gives you an immediate reply as opposed to the usual stunned silence. I follow it up with the reasoning that it's just not fair on those left behind, and ask what effect it would have on those loved ones. That argument and reasoning is why I'm not dead.
EASY NOW

warlock359205
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by warlock359205 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:49 pm

just to lighten this subject, my first wife died of mushroom poisoning, my second wife died from mushroom poisoning, my third wife died from a fractured skull, why? because she wouldn't eat the flaming mushrooms, boom,boom.

0v3rz34l0u5
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/0v3rz34l0u5

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:31 pm

I understand that people think it can be selfish. I used to think that. Sometimes though, the suffering does get bad and suicide is the only option. I recently learnt that 5.7 million people call the Samaritans each year (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40115020) which is about 10x more than I expected.

WarGanisM
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by WarGanisM » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:15 pm

I mean unless we start going into really ad-hoc situations like euthanasia, or some ultra extreme situations like commiting suicide; instead of facing some inexplicable death/torture of being captured by an enemy in some sort of conflict. I don't really think Suicide is ever the only option, I mean by semantically by definition it can't be the only option, because to not do it is an option. I strongly agree It may feel like it, but feelings and the reality are two different things, although ones personal feelings can be arguably a personal reality.

Right now i'm sort of having to battle it out with a friend of mine, whom I am not on good terms with, mainly because of their mental illness, which has a habit of destroying their friend/relationships. That to some degree they're alone and without friends, and they don't have any real family. The family exists, but the bonds are pretty much non existant. Said friend talks alot about suicide, and it now talking/asserting strongly about assisted suicide. I'm sort of stuck in the poisiton of what the hell do i do. Is it selfish of me, to try and save them, even though only they can really save themselves. Is it selfish of me to get in their way. Should I start contacting their family members? What sucks the most is for the most part, whilst i'm sort of privvy to alot of knowldge about them, I'm not in the best place to act/help.

They are an nice person, tries extremely hard for often very little reward, that does fall foul often to bad luck, although I would argue sometimes the bad luck is a result of the situations they build aroudn themselves, because of the mental illness, they deserve a good happy life...Why does life have to be so cruel.