Mental Health Support

Non-game related chat
0v3rz34l0u5
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/0v3rz34l0u5

Mental Health Support

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:06 pm

After the loss of Chester Bennington, I realised that communities such as EBS can help people with mental health problems. I suffer from OCD and GADs (I may have Asperger’s, I’m not sure when my assessment will be). I’ve found being a member of EBS and just taking part to be a massive help to me. Perhaps, we could have a discussion for people to help people when they need it?

0v3rz34l0u5
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Re: Mental Health Support

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:19 pm

It’s ok not to be ok.
phpBB [video]

Stujb
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/stujb

Post by Stujb » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:23 pm

On the same subject but to the far extreme, this was a discussion in discord the other night on what drives somebody to suicide. As @Karrion said, anyone who thinks suicide is a 'get out' or anything similar is a complete idiot. It's a very dark place for a person to be. The natural being for a person is to preserve life, not end it. So for somebody to take their own life, they must be in a very bad place.

I lost a friend to suicide, hung himself after his ex crashed and died on her way to picking him up from work. He blamed himself.

Mental health is something I do not understand, I'll be the first to say that. But I do understand that if somebody has an issue, the last thing anybody should do is take the piss.

0v3rz34l0u5
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Thank you for sharing Stujb. Although you say that you don’t understand mental health, you do more than you realise. :)

The trouble with Mental Health is it is unseen and there’s too much stigma attached to it. It’s time for that to change and as a community, we can help and support one another.

WarGanisM
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by WarGanisM » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:20 am

I lightly suffered from a type of depression, after I injured my knee during training, and it ultimately resulted in the end of my MMA career. So I have a very small incite to depression, but only a drop in the ocean, that is a void of knowledge concerning depression and mental illness.

One of my former friends suffered from depression and a couple of other Mental illnesses, that actually were underlying symptoms that caused depression. That was a learning experience to see how complex Mental health can be. Mental illnesses, causing other ones; It's really hard for those without a Mental illness to even comprehend them, and even those with; all have their own unique perspectves. In many cases the behaviours can be present, right in your face over years during a friendship, and you still don't learn, or realise they are behaviours/traits of that mental illness, and not their actual personality. Sometimes it's not until you learn from an expert, it hits you right in the face (hard) and the past can suddenly all make sense, like magic.

Very recently I just came out of a 2+ year relationship, that sadly ended in a firey ending. Through that I learned alot about PTSD, and the umbrella of issues and mental illnesses that has. It was a tough relationship on me mentally, and even worse for my Ex-partner who actually had them (PTSD/Anxiety/Depression). I learned alot, and tbh only learned some of the issues until the very end, and reflecting back, and some I was and probably still completely ignorant too. The fact alot of those issues are also the same things stopping them from getting the help they need.

All I can say is whatever the hell works! One major thing with an issue like mental issness, is you have to rely on support where ever you feel comfortable, because family, friends and community is all you have. In some cases when you don't even have family, friends are all you have; and said mental illnesses mostly cause alot of burnt bridges to those who don't understand, which serve to push and alienate them from even having friends to give support.

Mental illness, is a truely disgusting horrible condition that I absolutely hate with a passion, and still can only barely understand. So yea whatever works man, whatever fucking works for whatever issue. I kind of really hate how our culture/society really underplays/ignores Mental Health. However without sounding too down beaten and pessimistic, on the contrary there's help out there, and there's many positives stories and outcomes out there, I have seen them. Although that is the an issue in and of itself with News/Media re Linkin parks Chester Bennington as an example, you only here the negatives, the ones that died, or on another subject Cancer and only those that died. You never hear about the survivors, they exist. (not that i'm saying they shouldn't report them)

The entire battle is getting/finding the help, whatever it maybe-- even a community like EBS full of raving-crazy-nutjob-lunatic-beer-drinking-rascals that shoot things badly in a vidja games! oops I must remember to stop talking about myself like that xD

0v3rz34l0u5
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Thank you for sharing WarGanisM. I think the hardest thing I found was getting the support from the NHS. This isn’t because they’re not good at it, they are, but it’s not getting the funding and is struggling under the pressure.

Some things work for some people and other things work for others. I would like to promote that it is okay not to be okay and that we, as a community are here to support one another. 😊

That said, if I didn’t have the medication, I doubt I’d have joined EBS!

Hg80
Captain
Captain
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Hg80
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Hg80UK
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Hg80uk

Post by Hg80 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:27 pm

I know the horrors of mental health and the dark places it can take you.
Last December i saved a mans life who was in such a dark place (read news article here)
I now champion the great work that MIND do and i'm trying to raise awareness as such i will be cycling a 100mile closed road race in September to raise money for this great cause (I have already raised over £500!)

Its great to see people open up and talk about these issues as there should be no stigma attached and it should not be a tabo subject and people should not bottle up there emotions and feelings, Talking really does help!

I may be a piss taking bastard at times but i really do see this as a serious subject to which no one should be afraid to confront or talk about! with that in mind i will always have a shoulder to lean on for anyone who wishes to chat or get something off there chest.

PS: Should anyone of you lovely people want to sponsor me please do so here https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Tim-Tranter
Last edited by Hg80 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris_86
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Chris_86 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:02 pm

0v3rz34l0u5 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:51 pm
the hardest thing I found was getting the support from the NHS
We have Margaret Thatcher to thank for that, and the subsequent governments who want to do more and more without raising taxes. I believe the waiting lists for therapy on the NHS are something like 12 weeks. In those 12 weeks a truly traumatised person might have taken matters into their own hands, or gone off the deep end some other way. Other things like getting a diagnosis for certain conditions can be next to impossible especially if you're an adult.

However, I'm hopeful that as human society continues to develop it will start to pay more attention to mental health. Of course things will get easier when they start to figure out how the brain actually works...
Origin/Steam Inaccurate_Panda
Rig: i7 7700K, Corsair H115i, Gaming 7 Z270, Corsair 2x8GB 3000, Asus A8G GTX 1080, Corsair RM750x, Samsung 500GB + 750 GB SSDs, WD Blue 4TB, Corsair Crystal 460x || Asus ROG Swift PG279, Dell U2417HA || Corsair K70 RGB Cherry Brown, Razer Deathadder

Projectblue
SWO
SWO
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Projectblue51
Twitter: Tw@tter? No - I'd rather die

Post by Projectblue » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:04 pm

Well done for raising the topic 0v3rz34l0u5 - It takes some doing to stand up and say 'we need to talk about this'.

Members who have been around a bit have watched me go through a tough time and they were there for me. I can't thank them enough for being that consistent place to go and talk to friends. On some dark days they read the signs and some picked up the phone and called me. I won't name them to save their blushes, but I said 'you didn't need to call mate' and the reply was 'I fuckin did. No one writes something like that on social media and doesn't get a phone call from me to see if they are ok'.

Many people are nervous that they might not be empathic, understanding or say the right thing. It doesn't matter. Talking to someone with some awkward moments is better than finding out a month later that it's too late.

I'm here and despite my talkative nature I can listen too. Inbox if any of you want to chat.

Stujb
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/stujb

Post by Stujb » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:19 pm

Chris_86 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:02 pm
0v3rz34l0u5 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:51 pm
the hardest thing I found was getting the support from the NHS
We have Margaret Thatcher to thank for that, and the subsequent governments who want to do more and more without raising taxes.
Stop that right there. When labour took over they closed my local, as it was called at the time, asylum, putting all those on the streets.

That's enough politics on this forum thank you. Move along please.