The Forest

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

AnimusEradico

The Forest

Post by AnimusEradico » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:45 pm

So this isn't a new game and had apparently been in Beta for years, but currently on steam for £10.37 (33% off).

If you like survival games with a horror twist, you'll love this and best of all the game is available as a standard PC or VR game! It also supports multiple players in the openworld.

The VR aspect is amazing as you really get into the atmosphere of it as you try to work out your surroundings and how to stay alive. It follows a plane crash in which you witness your son being dragged off by a native looking chap who may or may not be a cannibal. Next thing is to collect a handy axe left next to a dead stewardess, then with guidance from your handy survival guide you can start exploring and making things you'll need to survive, starting with a shelter.

Actually chopping down trees with your axe in VR is pretty awesome but there's a whole host of items you can build and tools you can fashion from items founds or harvested. Nothing quite like hunting a dear to then skin it for meat and hide with a bow and arrows you made from sticks, rope, bird feathers (from the birds you had to batter to begin with). Now you can use the hide to make a water carrying pouch so you can travel further afield before you get dehydrated.

Apart from the first time you realise you're actually slowly dying of hypothermia and need to build a fire pronto, there's some pretty scary aspects. There are strange cannibals about which are frankly terrifying, not just because well, they may want to eat you; but because they're both very alien but also very familiar. You're essentially encroaching in their territory and at first they don't really know what to make of you. You can get away with just staring at one and hoping he runs off - not making any sudden moves or hiding if he's not spotted you first, but once he determines you're a possible threat he'll be back with friends and then you're potentially going to get strung up in a dark cave for their dinner.. The AI is actually quite human in their reactions to you as they help out fallen mates or try to surround you but their behaviour is also quite animalistic.

Night time is the worst as any fire will draw the cannibals (who are most active at night) straight to you, but at the same time you need to keep warm to stave off hypothermia. They also make very creepy noises and hare about in the dark shadows.

I'm pretty impressed with this game so far, with the need to survive at the fore, constant vigilance for cannibals and other creatures and then the diverse building/crafting opportunities. I'd imagine it's good as a standard PC game but it's fantastic in VR.

ProvokedPrawn
Site Admin

Re: The Forest

Post by ProvokedPrawn » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:22 pm

Why did the stewardess have an axe? I bet she did it.
Donate to keep EBS alive ---->Image

warlock359205

Post by warlock359205 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:26 am

Bear Grylls would finish it in twenty minutes lol

warlock359205

Post by warlock359205 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:36 pm

been tempted by this but have you any updates on how you are getting on with the game, is it any good .

AnimusEradico

Post by AnimusEradico » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:41 pm

I've actually put a surprising amount of time into it (for me).
I'm on about day 35 now, have loads more gear, stuff I've made etc. The mutants are abound a lot more though so have to be careful.
I've explored the island more now and spent a lot more time exploring the 'caves' (which are quite creepy but good for obtaining stuff).
There's still a lot of elements to this game that I enjoy, for the price I think it's very good value for money (especially if you have VR).
- If you find some red paint, and put it on yourself, sometimes the cannibals start bowing down and sort of worship you - before they go mental again (fun fact!)

warlock359205

Post by warlock359205 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:54 pm

cheers for the update AnimusEradico , saw my perfect game on youtube the other day its called the last of us , but its only on ps4 ,bummer.

Spawnsy

Post by Spawnsy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:17 pm

Jack in the Green says that "the last of us" is the best game he's ever played. That's quite the comment coming from him. He is very critical of the slightest problem with any game.
Easy now.

warlock359205

Post by warlock359205 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:01 pm

Spawnsy wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:17 pm
Jack in the Green says that "the last of us" is the best game he's ever played. That's quite the comment coming from him. He is very critical of the slightest problem with any game.
The trouble is I will never get a PS4, still who knows when the ps68 is out I might be able to pick up a PS4 for a tenner

Bennett
Loading…

Post by Bennett » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:41 pm

@warlock359205
The last of us is on ps3 as well. PS4 version is just a remaster. If you ever get a ps3, you have to get uncharted 2 as well. Ignore the first one, the story is good but the game play is wank and Uncharted 3 too. £40 for the console maybe?, £2-4 each for the games. Say £50-80 for the lot at a guess. depends whats on ebay.

Or if I've still got my copies, I can give you them.

EVL-TW@

Post by EVL-TW@ » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:04 pm

looks like rust