Need help with your PC hardware or software? Ask for it here
kernowbysvyken
Captain
Captain
Twitter: End it now
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/KernowBysVyken

Webcams and internet dongle

Post by kernowbysvyken » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 pm

One of my mates is getting married at the end of March and a lot of our friends are overseas at the moment, so I had an idea of setting up a laptop with a webcam at the reception so we can have pissed up chats with the guys that can't make it. The problem is that the reception is at a cricket club in the middle of nowhere and I don't think they have broadband. Is an internet dongle quick enough for a webcam and what would be the best way of broadcasting so they don't need to sign in to something like Yahoo, or would they need to do something like that so they can reply?

karrion
SWO
SWO

Re: Webcams and internet dongle

Post by karrion » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:16 pm

My brother uses a dongle to talk on skype with his daughter who's out in Egypt, as long as the laptop at either end isn't moved around too much he usually get's a good image/sound. The signal does occasionally drop out for a minute or two but otherwise it's perfectly fine for him. If you were thinking of doing it I'd check the reception at both ends though before the actual day and maybe have a trial run to see. And don't worry we all believe why you're interested in this and that it has nothing about broadcasting yourself on webcam to some unsuspecting lady :whistle:

kernowbysvyken
Captain
Captain
Twitter: End it now
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/KernowBysVyken

Post by kernowbysvyken » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks for that, I guess we'll have to test it. As for the webcam wank, I'm best man so I should be entertaining bridesmaids rather than knocking one out on livejasmin, or my mates in Portugal/Oz/US will have a treat

DarkDeamon
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by DarkDeamon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:43 pm

You need to get one of the newest dongles as they have the best reception and will get the best out of whatever connection you have. You may also want to look for a dongle that allows an aerial extension in to help the signal even more.

What I do advise is go online and check the location for the venue for signal strength from each provider and try find some mates with phones off the different providers to double check the bullshit you sometimes get on the sites.

You will need to use something like skype/ yahoo/ msn at each end. Out of the 3, yahoo is probably the least resource hungry.

Best of luck
aka EvilB@stard
Insurgency Config maniac
Putting my hacks on your PC :devil:

Foobies
Captain
Captain
Steam: http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/ebsfoo

Post by Foobies » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:22 pm

na, he just wants to.use it when he goes dogging