Computer Blackscreening and restarting during games.

Need help with your PC hardware or software? Ask for it here
WarGanisM
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Computer Blackscreening and restarting during games.

Post by WarGanisM » Sun May 14, 2017 3:48 am

Finally got a chance to run memtest ran a few passes and left it over night, found zero errors, so i guess that rules out The ram being the issue. Vram possibly? Is there any programs that is similar to memtest but for video ram?
Last edited by WarGanisM on Sun May 14, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HOOTER
Midshipman
Midshipman

Post by HOOTER » Sun May 14, 2017 9:55 am

I started having a similar problem the other day, one thing to try that helped me was making sure that " automatically restart " is UNticked in advanced system settings-system properties-advanced-start up and recovery-system failure.that way instead of simply restarting you should get an error code on screen that might help .Mine was an automatic update that had not finished installing correctly.

BillBailey
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bill.bailey.9212301

Post by BillBailey » Sun May 14, 2017 11:30 am

Turn it off and on again

WarGanisM
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by WarGanisM » Sun May 14, 2017 11:54 pm

HOOTER wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 9:55 am
I started having a similar problem the other day, one thing to try that helped me was making sure that " automatically restart " is UNticked in advanced system settings-system properties-advanced-start up and recovery-system failure.that way instead of simply restarting you should get an error code on screen that might help .Mine was an automatic update that had not finished installing correctly.
I have only had 1 bsod but it blackscreened and restarted before i could read it. I might be geting bsod's but its just blackscreening typically straight away so nothing can be read,sadly. The auto restart tends to come a few seconds later. I don't think it is update related, as i'm on windows 7 and due to microsoft purposely breaking the updater, Window's 7 can no longer get updates.

Thanks @billbailey will try one of those programs out, when i can get into my machine, been a real sod last few days, although safemode still works fine.

Had a really weird instance happen the other day, loaded straight into windows but the nvidia driver had completely vanished. as if they didn't exist on the machine. although I do speculate due to so many crashes and freezes now, my windows OS start up etc is probably corrupted all to hell aswel now anyway.

Plan to move to Win 10, but got to get to the bottom of this aweful problem.

warlock359205
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by warlock359205 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:11 am

Why did you not move to windows 10 when it first came out? It's a lot more stable and better than win 7 ,I would do the upgrade anyway, what have you got to lose, the upgrade might sort out your problem.

WarGanisM
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by WarGanisM » Tue May 16, 2017 2:44 am

I never jump to a new OS when it first comes out, they're always troublesome, I prefer to wait. I did upgrade eventually, but during the upgrade it completely fucked up my PC up, So I thought screw that, and went back to windows 7. However like i say I do plan to go to windows 10 soon, but a change of OS isn't going to solve a hardware issue, and this seems more like a hardware issue, rather than driver/software one, although not 100% certain.

Once i figure out if the psu and gfx card ok/bad, I will try win 10. Never know OS might effect the outcome, stranger things have happened, but given the machine ran fine in win7 with the same drivers, and updates on the same games for ages, and then suddenly doing out of the blue, make me think it is hardware related. It is a pretty old machine.

IRAZORI
SWO
SWO

Post by IRAZORI » Tue May 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Got a feeling it's your psu mate.Graphics card usually shows a bit of artifacting first if it's on the way out but don't rule it out. Is there a way you can borrow a PSU from someone?

WarGanisM
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by WarGanisM » Wed May 17, 2017 1:14 am

IRAZORI wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 7:28 pm
Got a feeling it's your psu mate.Graphics card usually shows a bit of artifacting first if it's on the way out but don't rule it out. Is there a way you can borrow a PSU from someone?
Evl-tw@ will probably help me out if it come to that.

Chris_86
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Chris_86 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm going to add weight to PSU here - PSU max output decreases over time, and people build a system and add more components / more power hungry components, and boom, suddenly we find ourselves (albeit for a few milliseconds at a time) hitting the ceiling and wondering what the hell is going on.

They are most efficient at about 50% load, so there's no harm in over-provisioning. I have a 750-watt power supply for a single GPU (GTX 1080), but I would not be happy with that PSU if I was running SLI, or a Ti card. Some more expensive PSUs like the RMi series and above from Corsair, allow you to monitor the wattage draw via an internal USB cable, which is really sensible.

I have a Corsair RM750x, but if I bought again I would buy a Super Flower (because they are beautiful) or SeaSonic (unlike Corsair, SeaSonic actually design and manufacture their PSUs, and the warranties are ridonculous).

You could always try Prime95 or some other stress tester that maxes out the CPU and the GPU at the same time, thus providing a sustained opportunity for your PSU to fail unrelated to game drivers.

As for Windows 10, I'd go for a fresh install rather than an OS upgrade. Way less room for grief :)
Origin/Steam Inaccurate_Panda
Rig: i7 7700K, Corsair H115i, Gaming 7 Z270, Corsair 2x8GB 3000, Asus A8G GTX 1080, Corsair RM750x, Samsung 500GB + 750 GB SSDs, WD Blue 4TB, Corsair Crystal 460x || Asus ROG Swift PG279, Dell U2417HA || Corsair K70 RGB Cherry Brown, Razer Deathadder