Help Needed!!

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

DjCloudo

Help Needed!!

Post by DjCloudo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:58 pm

My better half and I are in early stages of buying a 1 bed flat, its a good size however the space doesn't really lend itself to a "PC gaming space"
I need pictures/Inspiration from anyone else of their set-ups even if you aren't in the same situation size wise anything might help us.
Here's the floor plan, its not hugely accurate so I plan to go get some more accurate measurements within the next 2 weeks.

Cheers for any help in advance.

AnimusEradico

Re: Help Needed!!

Post by AnimusEradico » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:06 pm

I had similar issues in the flat I'm currently in. We have a hallway which, due to the layout has a corner of essentially dead space - the previous occupants had a table there for a plant to sit on. I bought a tall PC desk which is designed to sit in a corner and so made the best use of the space.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LIFE-CARVER-Fu ... for+gaming If you have a spare corner, I think it's a good space saver, takes up very little room really - only issue might be clearance for your rig depending on it's size.

Since re-arranged and took over the spare room as needed more space for VR, but it worked for about 2 years.

Spawnsy

Post by Spawnsy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:47 am

keep saving your money up until you can afford something bigger. that's not a flat, it's a shoe box mate. if you buy that piffling little thing and the arse falls out of the market you'll be stuck with a mortgage and massive negative equity on a place nobody wants at any price any more. the only reason that was even built was because of the stupid state of our housing market. things only have to change a little bit for a good old housing crash. can you think of anything coming up in the near future which might alter things for us brits? rack your brains mate. there must be something.

ohsosharp
Loading…

Post by ohsosharp » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:16 pm

Nice one Spawnsy.

Hairy Frog

Post by Hairy Frog » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:06 pm

41m² is too tiny for two people

Even more when 3 or 4 m² are lost to an unnecessary entrance hall. And the kitchen is as big ( maybe even bigger ) as the living, instead of being in one open space....

I know an architect who deserves a strong ass kick

You may live in couple here for a pair of years, but not more imho. That's about what I did with the girl I married, but we were students, and would not have buy such a flat for anything else than rent.
If a fool is a guy who lost is touch with the real world, what to think about people who are confusing

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Knowledge and information
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

Stujb

Post by Stujb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 pm

What Spawnsy said.
I know of a major bank that's refusing to offer new mortgage rates due to uncertainty.
Stick it out for at least another year and look to buy in the spring 2020, that's when things will be hopefully more settled and also it's a better time of year as more people tend to try to sell in the spring.

Whatever you do, good luck :)

Projectblue

Post by Projectblue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:17 pm

Ok, lets assume you and your other half have settled on this flat. Realistically there is only one space I can see that can fit a pc desk and that's corner of the living room against the bedroom wall and outer wall to the left of the window.

All I would say is that you will need your own space, even if it's a desk in the corner of a room. Make sure you get it or you won't ever be happy.

Stujb

Post by Stujb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:46 pm

And for the second time this year I agree with PB....we should have a party or something. Or did you agree with me last time?

Anyway, it's difficult without knowing the true aspect of the room. Top left is an option, but I'm assuming there will be a sofa and large TV.
It's difficult to visualise without seeing as windows and doors can make a big difference.

ProvokedPrawn
Site Admin

Post by ProvokedPrawn » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:55 am

Laptop in bed
Donate to keep EBS alive ---->Image

Ztranier
Loading…

Post by Ztranier » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:19 pm

My succestion is, that you will only sit in your "gaming spot". That means you do not need the full hight of the room, maybe 1,5 mtr or something, so why not thinking about creating a little stage with the "gaming spot" on top. In this case you will earn some extra storage space for things like an evacuator , freezer, not used decorations…… whatever you can imagine.

Of course, the same idea applies to the bedroom as well. If you place the "gymnastics spot" on top of a stage you also create some extra space.
those stages compared with some customized drawers will make your flat a bit bigger, without extending it.
"If in doubt, ....flat out" Collin McRae