Kind of technical - travel advice from you southern folk please

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

llSatanll

Kind of technical - travel advice from you southern folk please

Post by llSatanll » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:41 pm

In January i am driving down to Rochester for a couple of days to see a friend. Totally unfamiliar with roads down that way and particularly heavy traffic. Google maps says this route needs a some kind of crossing?

Can anyone advise best route i will probably drive the A1 unless anyone suggests the M1 i want the easiest route to Rochester, we are pondering in stopping off somewhere the night before and was looking at possibly Cambridge if thats feasible if not open to suggestions on a nice town/city up to say max. 50 miles from Rochester.

So to summarise, best easiest route to Rochester, a great place for overnight stay and look around en-route but not a massive distance from Rochester.

HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP
Last edited by llSatanll on Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillBailey

Re: Kind of technical - travel advice from you southern folk please

Post by BillBailey » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:44 pm

I'd say go by train and avoid all the traffic.

Projectblue

Post by Projectblue » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 pm

So Rochester is the town of my mothers birth and I've been a few times.
Route: A1, then M11, M25 (Clockwise) use Dartford crossing (that's the toll). You go over the bridge and come back through the tunnel. Take A2(M) for Rochester and then M2.
As for staying, Cambridge is miles away and so far north to London, you might as well stay in a random Yorkshire town (because if it's not in or from Yorkshire it's not worth shite).
If you are looking for somewhere different and nice, I'd look at Canterbury. Sheerness is closer but similar to where you live. Although anywhere in Jan is going to be horrible :D
"The day may dawn when fair play, love for one’s fellow-men, respect for justice and freedom, will enable tormented generations to march forth serene and triumphant from the hideous epoch in which we have to dwell. Meanwhile, never flinch, never weary, never despair."

AnimusEradico

Post by AnimusEradico » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:13 pm

You're best to sign up for an account and pay the Dar-Charge in advace, to avoid any penalty for paying the crossing fee late. It will pick up your registration number automatically when you cross.

llSatanll

Post by llSatanll » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 pm

Blue/Ani thanks. Blue thanks for route help, id bookmarked a hotel in Cambridge but take on board your comments about Canterbury so might do that instead. I might need to look at the dartford tunnel charges this is all alien to me as all toll roads seem to be midlands downwards we don't do them up norf i have not got a clue about this kind of stuff other than they want more money off me.

edit, lol Blue Canterbury looks to be on the arse end of nowhere its other side off Rochester nearing Broadstairs didnt they film Hills have eyes round there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stujb

Post by Stujb » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:36 pm

You might want to pack shorts and a vest shirt, wouldn't want you to over heat.