Advice for setting up a website

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

AnimusEradico

Advice for setting up a website

Post by AnimusEradico » Sun May 10, 2020 3:08 pm

Ahoy!

I've offered to help my brother by setting up a website for him, he's self employed and usually gets work through word of mouth. He doesn't need to sell anything or have a complex interactive presence online; just a place he can be found with searching and to generate some more interest for him.

In part it's an opportunity for me to have a play with a website too, I've got a few Udemy courses I'd already downloaded to work through but looking for some advice on any recommended providers or recommendations for good reference material to research and gain knowledge.

I'd probably want to use Wordpress for content creation and cPanel for website management (these seem the most common & referenced in tutorials I have). Given it should be a fairly small & straight forward website, I'd not want my brother to pay too much in monthly costs for hosting but have some security and basic features.

So, if any of you lovely people have any helpful suggestions, they would be most welcome :)

Thank you

Cold Blood Nor
Loading…

Re: Advice for setting up a website

Post by Cold Blood Nor » Sun May 10, 2020 3:50 pm

You should look into Google Ads as well if you want the the site to pop-up when searching :)
Cold Blood out.

"What? Say something! Am I so beautiful that you've got no words left?" - Midna

0verzeal0us

Post by 0verzeal0us » Sun May 10, 2020 8:30 pm

Look at 1&1 IONOS. It doesn’t use cPanel buts it’s easier. It currently costs £.08 (+VAT) per month for the first year.

https://www.ionos.co.uk/hosting/wordpress-hosting

darkdeamon

Post by darkdeamon » Mon May 11, 2020 2:00 am

DON'T use wordpress if you can help it..... Unless you do a very basic site with fuck all plugins and modules. It is a huge target for hackers. Drupal is a little bit harder to get your head around but less chance of being hacked.
I host 1 wordpress site and 6 Drupal sites. The WordPress gives me more pain than all the Drupal sites combined.
Putting my hacks on your PC by many devious methods

darkdeamon

Post by darkdeamon » Mon May 11, 2020 2:02 am

Oh, and I've been using 1&1 for my mail for many years now. Not had any complaints with their service or support.
Putting my hacks on your PC by many devious methods

0verzeal0us

Post by 0verzeal0us » Mon May 11, 2020 8:10 pm

The question is, what do you want your website to do?

AnimusEradico

Post by AnimusEradico » Tue May 12, 2020 5:30 pm

Thanks - I had a look at Ionos, Seem to offer some good packages. I also looked at Bluehost, after a bit of research from various review sites.

The website is just for my brother's business to have an online presence. It would be simple with some pictures and testimonials etc for his work, the area he covers (maybe a map), and his contact details for enquiries and quotes - so really nothing flashy (so to Darks point, won't be many plugins etc), simple yet hopefully decent looking.

having looked at Ionos, I think I might go for their basic managed Wordpress Hosting package. There's a tonne of providers out there and coming into it cold, it's a bit to take in - I think as long as I've got an idea of who not to go with, it's just matter of going for a package that looks right.

0verzeal0us

Post by 0verzeal0us » Tue May 12, 2020 8:51 pm

Go for their business option and drop down after the year! £1.20 is a bargain!

I use Wordfence which enables 2FA and several other useful plugins. If you need advice, just ask as I use IONOS.

Spawnsy

Post by Spawnsy » Tue May 12, 2020 10:59 pm

I frigging love this community.
LOVE IT.
Facebook Ebs Spawnsy
Pick up your suffering and bear it.
Easy now.

knightmorphed

Post by knightmorphed » Mon May 25, 2020 9:33 am

Yes me too....great source of knowledge, camaraderie and fun people to play with. It has changed my online gaming experience 100% for the better.