Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

Karrion

Re: Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

Post by Karrion » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:25 pm

They're introducing raids in this so if there's enough people it could be good to have groups do this.

0v3rz34l0u5

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 am

Bennett
Loading…

Post by Bennett » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:18 pm

I really enjoyed wildlands pvp on all them free weekends I played. I'll definitely be participating in them for this if it's of a similar nature.

0v3rz34l0u5

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:51 pm

You just want to play with me!

Karrion

Post by Karrion » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:34 pm

warlock359205

Post by warlock359205 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:11 am

Looks like a different version of pubg, hunt,etc, so not for me I'm afraid.

0v3rz34l0u5

Post by 0v3rz34l0u5 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:28 am

warlock359205 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:11 am
Looks like a different version of pubg, hunt,etc, so not for me I'm afraid.
Don't panic Captain Mainwaring it isn't like PUBG and Hunt as it is primarily a solo PvE survival game. You can play co-op and PVP if you want but you don't have to.

Karrion

Post by Karrion » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:15 am

peglegswansoon

Post by peglegswansoon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:01 pm

I played the beta for a bit last night, got some first impressions in no particular order:

Gunplay feels solid, aiming controls are like PUBG where you can aim over-the-shoulder or use weapon sights. Can adjust sensitivity for all of these modes separately or all at once which is nice. You can switch shoulders with a key/button and there is an option to do it automatically when you enter cover. It's a bit janky because it comes into affect even if you are just running along a wall or past a tree so I turned this off. The movement feels slightly clunky, kind of like GTA in third-person mode but nowhere near as extreme. You can climb fairly high fences and walls too which is nice. Your character can stumble down hills and react to the environment when moving around. Overall it looks good and gives you a sense of weight but may hamper you a bit if you are trying to do quick peeks as you would in an FPS - I guess you should use the cover system for that.

On regular difficulty the guns are effective - ARs kill normal enemies in 1 headshot or 2-3 body shots. You can even dispatch much higher level enemies (the game warns you that you are in a "high level area - level <x> enemies" when they are around) with a single headshot if they haven't spotted you. If they do start shooting they will kill you very fast, just like Insurgency :mrgreen:

My group was attacked by small aerial drones twice, they hit kinda hard but you get plenty of HUD warnings that they have seen and are attacking you, and they are fairly easy to shoot down.

The weapon selection is decent, lots of ARs, SMGs, DMRs and Shotguns to choose from. There is an emphasis on RPG-like elements, each weapon has a level number etc. which does have some oddities - for example, you can choose a selection of M82 rifles that say they shoot 7.62mm or .338 ammo instead of .50cal, but they all look the same. I got an "M516" which looks exactly like a 416 but shoots 7.62... as a bit of a gun nerd this seems weird. Different attachments like grips are available but they all have downsides in addition to buffs, not sure how I feel about that yet. You can paint your guns different colours too, the whole thing or part by part. You can take 2 primary weapons and a pistol in your loadout, and you seem to be able to change it at any time on the go.

Characters can be customized at the start of the game, and you can find different guns and gear from crates or the shop as you play. Some gear items have buffs while others are only cosmetic. They have level numbers like the guns do. A nice touch is the option to "lock" your skin if you don't want to spoil your look but still equip high level gear - it just won't show up on your character. You also have skill trees that come from 4 main archetypes - Assault, Medic, Sharpshooter and Stealth Guy. I played Assault, not sure if the skills are different but I'd assume they are. It's a bit confusing how both the passive skill buffs and "perks" are all on the same tree. Perks are more powerful buffs but you can only equip a limited number of them while the passive abilities are always active. Some perks are mutually exclusive but it is not well communicated which ones can't go together.

In our limited playtime the whole injury system didn't come into much effect for me or my friends. Either we didn't get hurt enough to notice it or we were killed outright, there was no middle ground. I guess it will matter more when we are a better match for the high level baddies :lol:

The mission system and interface in general is a bit shit. In particular the mission menu is annoying to navigate with lots of sidequests, and a system where you "pin" active missions. The layout is confusing. The game has a "guided mode" which you can turn on or off. When on you get objective markers on the HUD like a traditional open world game which tell you where to go to progress each mission. Off, you have no markers. Instead each mission will give you hints like "I need to find <thing> and talk to <character>" "He lives in <somewhere> which is in the south of the map on the coast" etc. Basically you have to go find the mission markers yourself. It's a very cool idea but defo makes you need to use your brain more and is a bit annoying if all you wanted to do was go shoot people. You do have an option to turn it on or off at will though.

You can customize the HUD elements to your liking which is nice, either by choosing between presets or doing it all yourself. However there are a lot of options to try so will probably take some experimentation to get it right.

Game runs average, I was playing on mostly highest settings as they were applied automatically. Was getting at least 45fps most of the time. Graphics are very nice but you will want to turn off motion blur (on by default, whyyyy) and IMO the temporal AA looks awful and shimmery especially on foliage!

Has anyone else tried it? What are your thoughts? :D

Karrion

Post by Karrion » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:50 pm