DarkD rant thread

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

darkdeamon

DarkD rant thread

Post by darkdeamon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:17 am

There is a lot going on out here right now & things are incredibly busy. Having to juggle a lot of projects simultaneously.

One of the things that has been dragging on for months is a website refresh. Old site was a proprietary system that was a bitch to edit and the data on the server was actually encrypted so you couldn't just lift the content and drop into a new site.

Decided that the new site would use an open source CMS (content management system) & that as around 50% of our phishing links point back to wordpress sites, we weren't going to use wordpress. After a bit of testing, we decided to use Drupal.

Local web designers were chosen, server built ready and then we waited, and waited, and waited for the content. This was actually due to infighting within our company over content. In the meantime, some of the other companies started contacting me and saying "we think it's time to refresh our website?" My reply being, "We have a Drupal server ready to roll. Just have your web designers get in touch & we can sort out access".

I've talked to several designers now for the different companies and the conversation goes something like this.....
Them: We've got content ready, give us access to your cPanel and we'll upload to your wordpress site
Me: We are self hosting & using Drupal, no cPanel
Them: But we've built the site in wordpress
Me: We are using Drupal as it's more secure than wordpress and is less likely to be hacked
Them: But we've built the site in wordpress, it's very secure
Me: No it's not and we are using Drupal
Them: Well we can host the site for you on our wordpress hosting server
Me: (does a quick scan of their server) so this is the server that is at least 1 major version behind, has "x" number of unmaintained plugins & has unpatched operating system & software vulnerabilities
Them: ........!
Me: We are self hosting thank you very much
Them: Well you can install wordpress along side your Drupal system
Me: What part of "we are not using wordpress" don't you understand?
Them: but, but..... wordpress
At this point I normally tell them to get the fuck out of my office, contact the company boss who hired these clowns and have a rant at him for hiring idiots & why the fuck didn't they contact me first as we could have recommended web designers.....!
Putting my hacks on your PC by many devious methods

warlock359205

Re: DarkD rant thread

Post by warlock359205 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:43 am

Same old, same old, I'm afraid dark, too many chief's not enough Indians.

kentone

Post by kentone » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:11 pm

enemyboat.co.uk

Hairy Frog

Post by Hairy Frog » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:48 pm

No doubt that internet is a mature industry now .....
If a fool is a guy who lost is touch with the real world, what to think about people who are confusing

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Knowledge and information
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

darkdeamon

Post by darkdeamon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:24 pm

Good web designers produce nice looking functional sites.... that are a secure as a wet paper bag
Poor web designers are one trick ponies and should be shot on sight
Good security people produce secure sites but they are as pretty as a bulldog chewing a wasp

It is very difficult to get the balance between functionality, aesthetics and security

darkdeamon

Post by darkdeamon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Is feeling soiled and unclean after having to build and set up a wordpress server.
Now going to spend the rest of the week locking the network down to try protect against having to run such a shitty, unsecure piece of software!
Have I said just how much I hate 'one trick pony' web developers recently?? 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

kentone

Post by kentone » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 pm

You need a good designer coding with the security guy looking over his shoulder with the LART prepared. And a one trick pony to bring them coffee.
enemyboat.co.uk

Cercoza

Post by Cercoza » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 pm

On the flip side there's clients who want to self-host the Drupal site we built because they find our hosting/maintance plan too pricey and then leave it unpatched for a decade. Drupal has security issues too :x !

kentone

Post by kentone » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:30 pm

We laugh when clients doesn't want to pay mainteinance and 2 years later they call because no UPS and the RAID broke, luckily still one of the raid 1 disks is still alive but with ransomware and the last time they changed the backup disk was 1.5 years ago. And some still don't want maintenance...
enemyboat.co.uk

darkdeamon

Post by darkdeamon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:17 am

Cercoza wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 pm
Drupal has security issues too :x !
Drupal is less of a target and has a hell of a lot less vulnerabilities.
With WP you tend to find all the best, well maintained plugins need to be bought. Also there are still a lot of issues with the core code.