Upgrade my PC

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

OldWarDog

Upgrade my PC

Post by OldWarDog » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:53 pm

I'm trying to figure out is the best option for me, based on what I have already.
I really don't like the idea of spending lots and lots of money on a PC; as long as it works, how it looks is not important, and it doesn't have to be the very latest tech.
My current rig, which is beginning to show its age;
Asus Z97-A Motherboard
i5-4690K CPU
12 Gb RAM
KFA GTX-970 GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 250 Gb SSD
2x 1Tb Seagate Barracuda HDD
BenQ E-Sports 24" 144 MHz gaming monitor
I've no plans to change my monitor. The two 1Tb seagate HDD's are fine for storage, and the SSD I run windows from, and a couple of games at a time.
I'm aware keeping my motherboard limits my choice of CPU, but on that basis, it has been suggested to me that I should change to an i7-4790K, with a GTX-1070 GPU, and increasing my RAM slightly to 16Gb. I can do this for around £295. I've read that my current CPU would bottleneck if I just changed the GPU. I''d like to keep the cost below £300. Do any of you have alternatives that I can explore?

Hevlikn

Re: Upgrade my PC

Post by Hevlikn » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:57 am

Are you suffering performance loss in any games? If so which?

Weakest link it seems to me is the GPU, seeing as its 5 years since it was released, and it only has 3.5GB (+.5GB!) of GDDR.

CPU upgrade probably isn't necessary, or at least, upgrading to the 4790K won't be a substantial increase (or a decent value proposition). Better to upgrade the MotherBoard (Mobo) too, as it will allow you to get a newer socket and better longevity. You don't want to upgrade the CPU and then get limited by it again in a year.

Depending on what you're using the PC for primarily (does it double as a work PC? Does your work involve rendering?) I'd upgrade either the GPU, or the CPU+Mobo with the best/newest that you can afford right now, and look to upgrade the other in a year or so, again for the best/newest that you can afford at that point.

Upgrade RAM with the CPU, as if you're changing MOBO you'll most likely upgrade to DDR4.
Just another scrub tier PUBGer

HonorOfDuty

Post by HonorOfDuty » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:54 pm

I recently went from an Intel i5 3550K 8gb ddr3 ram to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and 16 Gb of ddr4 ram. So I bought a new CPU, new mobo, and new ram all for €350. Payed a little extra to the company I ordered at for assembly and test service. Came down to 380 euro. If you want bang for buck and a very good upgrade I would make the switch from Intel to the newest generation AMD Ryzen CPUs. The current AM4 socket modlbos needed will be supported by AMD at least till 2021 which means 2 or 3 new generations of CPUs that can be plugged in a current mobo

OldWarDog

Post by OldWarDog » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:55 pm

Hevlikn wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:57 am
Are you suffering performance loss in any games? If so which?

Weakest link it seems to me is the GPU, seeing as its 5 years since it was released, and it only has 3.5GB (+.5GB!) of GDDR.

CPU upgrade probably isn't necessary, or at least, upgrading to the 4790K won't be a substantial increase (or a decent value proposition). Better to upgrade the MotherBoard (Mobo) too, as it will allow you to get a newer socket and better longevity. You don't want to upgrade the CPU and then get limited by it again in a year.

Depending on what you're using the PC for primarily (does it double as a work PC? Does your work involve rendering?) I'd upgrade either the GPU, or the CPU+Mobo with the best/newest that you can afford right now, and look to upgrade the other in a year or so, again for the best/newest that you can afford at that point.

Upgrade RAM with the CPU, as if you're changing MOBO you'll most likely upgrade to DDR4.
Thanks Hevlikn, regards performance loss, I'm only recently noticing it with the release of BF5's Pacific Storm map. When the storm starts to rage, the GPU is maxed out, and despite having my in game graphics at low, it struggles in a battle scene - not good when you like flying planes!! I experienced something similar in the past when I had a GTX-470; changing back then to a GTX970 was a game changer.

That's why I'd though about the upgrade of the GPU initially. But then https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i ... AQ0UNlu/8/ suggests that there will be a bottleneck with the CPU of 32%.

Whilst I completely understand what you're saying about the 4790K not giving a substantial increase, https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 2384vs2311 is stating a 24% average benchmark increase; this combination gives a 6% bottleneck https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i ... AH0UNlu/8/.

I realise that effectively what I'd be doing is adding a few sandbags (keeping the mobo and adding an already older cpu) to the flooding river, instead of building a new dam wall (buying a new mobo + cpu), so to speak.

Thankfully I'm supplied with a different computer altogether for my work. At best I do a bit of photoshop work, mostly black & white images, for a hobby. Beyond that my PC is used primarily for gaming; that's why I don't want to spend a lot of money on it - it has to cost less than what buying a games console would be, otherwise I'd be better off buying a games console!

What you've said has certainly given me food for thought. Thanks for that buddy.

OldWarDog

Post by OldWarDog » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:00 pm

HonorOfDuty wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:54 pm
I recently went from an Intel i5 3550K 8gb ddr3 ram to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and 16 Gb of ddr4 ram. So I bought a new CPU, new mobo, and new ram all for €350. Payed a little extra to the company I ordered at for assembly and test service. Came down to 380 euro. If you want bang for buck and a very good upgrade I would make the switch from Intel to the newest generation AMD Ryzen CPUs. The current AM4 socket modlbos needed will be supported by AMD at least till 2021 which means 2 or 3 new generations of CPUs that can be plugged in a current mobo
HonorOfDuty, I'll freely admit I've been Intel since I've ever owned a PC; I know very little about Intel, but I know a whole lot less about AMD. Perhaps some extra reading on the subject would enlighten me. I recall when I bought the Z97 mobo it was supposedly future proof, but it turned out it's not really, as it limits me greatly in my next CPU choice. I don't want to make the same mistake again, if it's at all possible to avoid it.

Lafayette
Loading…

Post by Lafayette » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:08 pm

HonorOfDuty is well informed, best economic/performance ratio solution. as of today...
I am afraid futureproofing is not a thing in gaming and hardware, either you invest in hardware as little possible to try to stay inside current games requirement, either you invest more and change hardware less often...

Rodweiller

Post by Rodweiller » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:23 pm

Hello Wardog, before you spend a fortune, I would see if there any GFX card issues as I have the same card and don't have the problems you mention at all.

I have AMD 8 Core processor and 32gb RAM but same card GTX 970 and I don't run any game on low res.
"I'll be back boyo!"

Lafayette
Loading…

Post by Lafayette » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Of course, Rodweiller, it's a good advice, i recently experienced an uninstall of nvidia drivers with DDU software, not really straightforward to use, but i gained substantial fps after a fresh nvidia drivers reinstall.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/di ... nload.html

The thing is OldWarDog is using a good screen with a native refresh rate of 144Hz, then, correct me if i am wrong, he might want to play in HD resolution, so it's 1920x1080@144fps minimum for smooth experience?
What are your in game resolution and refresh rate you feel comfortable with Rodweiller?

Gaming console are way cheaper for gaming, you can also go full retro with this kind of things :
https://retropie.org.uk/
https://www.recalbox.com/
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your ... -498561192

OldWarDog

Post by OldWarDog » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:43 pm

Well I installed MSI Afterburner, and Riva Tuner Stats Server and played Battlefield 5 both single player and online to see if I could identify any issues.

No issues whatsoever running the game on Ultra settings, 1920 x 1080 Full HD 144 Hz, on single player. Getting average 42 FPS, with GPU Max 75% CPU Max 85%, and RAM 8.5 Gb.

Online, running the game on Ultra settings, 1920 x 1080 Full HD 144 Hz, again getting average 42 FPS, the GPU is maxing about 85%, RAM is 9.5 Gb however the CPU is regularly hitting 95% - 100%. That's where I'm experiencing the issues. I'm thinking about what @Hevlikn said and upgrade of a cpu and mobo first, then upgrade the gpu later.