So, what is Outpost? Essentially it's a wave-defense mode. Your team has to defend an objective from increasingly numerous and difficult AI. New to the Sandstorm version is instead of defending a single weapons cache, which was notoriously vulnerable to ICBMs (Inter-Continental Ballistic Molotovs) you hold onto capture points. In addition, instead of losing outright if you fail to defend an objective, your team will fall back to a new one. You're basically playing Checkpoint but in reverse! The goal is to hold off all waves of enemies (there are 10 by default) without losing your final objective.
Some other funfacts I noticed from playing:
- The mode is coming to Powerplant, Summit, Precinct, Refinery, Outskirts and the new map Tell. It can be played in both Day and Night
- You play as the Security team with all kits available, including fire support iirc
- At the start, everyone gets 2 supply. Your get 1 extra for every wave completed
- You get a grace period of 60 seconds between waves to resupply
- If you die, you'll respawn at the end of the wave
- You can steal enemy equipment during waves but at the wave end anything on the ground despawn, and you can't resupply enemy weapons with mags
- "Special" enemies will spawn for some waves - suicide-bombers only, sneaky snipers with suppressors, guys with RPGs, the MG3-toting Blaster, Ninjas with silenced Grease-guns to name a few. Some of them have more HP than usual which I didn't like very much.
- Sometimes, your team will be given 2 objectives to defend simultaneously. If you lose one it's gone forever, but you won't fall back unless you lose both.
- There appeared to be a bug with the fallback mechanic - if you're on the final wave and everyone dies you lose the round anyway, even if you weren't on the last objective. Unsure if this is intentional but I doubt it.
- Depending on the map, some players would try to spawn-camp the enemies. This was a bit weird and didn't play very well, perhaps that was just the culmination of "trying to get the most kills".
What do you guys think of this mode? Please leave any thoughts/feedback/other stuff I missed below!